Q: What sort of Ideas are we looking for?
We are looking for ideas that can be widely adopted because they:
- make a material difference to people’s health, here and in other countries;
- make clinicians’ jobs easier and more effective, so clinicians will want to adopt them; and
- reduce the cost of care, so public and private funders will want to fund them.
Q: Will the information I disclose about my idea/invention be confidential?
We assure confidentiality:
- in all cases we include a discussion about what confidentiality requirements there may be and how these will be applied
- An explicit confidentiality / non-disclosure agreement can be signed beforehand.
Q: Who owns the NZHIH?
The Hub is a partnership between three of New Zealand’s biggest DHBs: Auckland, Canterbury and Counties Manukau. We are also supported by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
Q: What is the policy on ownership of Intellectual Property?
Every case is different and should be discussed. Generally, intellectual property (IP) generated during the course of employment belongs to the employer. However, many profit sharing models exist and some DHBs have an IP Policy.
The Introduction to Intellectual Property page provides basic information on IP.
Q: Does the NZHIH have access to funding?
NZHIH is an agent for the MBIE Pre Seed Accelerator Fund programme. Strict criteria apply but that can be discussed with one of our team.
NZHIH works with other agencies like Callaghan Innovation, NZTE, ATEED and the Canterbury Development Corporation.
Q: Does the NZHIH have private funding connections?
We can provide advice and assist innovators in accessing funds. We also work with venture capital funds.
Q: What about DHB staff that are not foundation partner DHBs?
Our services support clinicians and staff of the funding DHBs, (Auckland, Canterbury and Counties Manukau). If you work at one of the other DHBs, you can still talk to us about your ideas but we would discuss next steps with them.
Q: How do I contact you to discuss my idea?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone us at 0800 466 804 or use our contact form to discuss.